Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Extraordinary Talent and Homeschoolers

Wow - that's all I can say.

My son is now 14 and completely self directed in his educational pursuits. He is dedicated to his academic studies and is very sure of who he is and what he wants.

We began homeschooling from the very start because when he was three someone asked him where he was going to go to school. He looked at the person with all seriousness and said, "My mom is going to teach me." Out of the mouth of babe's I guess. Homeschooling was not something I was familiar with and it certainly wasn't ...
anything I ever dreamed of doing.

However, I believe in signs from the Universe and have learned the importance of following those signs. The kid said mom was going to teach him, so I felt compelled to find out if that was even possible. The more I found out, the more I knew it was absolutely the right thing for my son.

For six years it wasn't that easy. There were struggles and challenges and lots of hoping that it was all going to turn out O.K. Should we be using a different curriculum? Do I need him in a class for this subject? Etc. Etc. All the typical uncertainties homeschool parents often experience.

And then one day a light bulb went on and he fell in love with physics. From that moment forward he was asking questions like, "What classes do I need to be taking right now in order to get into a good school with a physics program?" He figured out what he needed and I helped him find the books, online resources, classes, and instructors that could get him there. Many of the online programs he uses he found on his own.

Every morning he gets up and assigns himself studies for the day. Then he sets about accomplishing those lessons. He doesn't like it if we have to go somewhere or do things that interrupt his academic flow. Of course I throw some of that in just to help him learn to be comfortable with change and develop the necessary skills to adapt and respond with as little stress as possible when the inevitable hiccup happens in daily life. 

He is now heading into the 9th grade. That means that for 8 prior grades I've been a homeschool parent. The first few years were in New Mexico and the last in Virginia. In the middle we lived on a yacht in Fiji and the South Pacific for awhile and spent a month in Santa Fe visiting friends, hiking, and having fun. My work and he being a homeschooler allows us to travel and enjoy things that kids in public school just can't do during the academic year. It works for us and I am definitely a very proud parent of a son who is turning into quite a remarkable young man.

Homeschool kids are encouraged to find their gifts, be themselves, explore their interests and creativity. They are some of the most interesting people I have ever met. Of course it takes a certain kind of person to be a homeschool parent. They tend to be some of the most interesting adults I've ever met as well. 

Today I came across this article showcasing 15 extraordinary people who were homeschooled. They are very inspirational people. There are so many more out there diligently doing their studies in the comfort of their own home. Who knows what the next wave of homeschoolers will bring to the world?

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/the-worlds-15-most-extraordinary-homeschoolers/

Enjoy,
Takara


For more information about homeschooling, the reason many people homeschool, and resources to assist in home education, visit my website Homeschool Resources Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment